While researching for my World Market Downton Abbey/Baby is Brewing Tea Party, I came across a recipe for coronation chicken tea sandwiches on the DowntonAbbeyCooks.com website. There are a lot of variations of the recipe but this one seemed really easy and didn’t require a lot of steps or ingredients. Everyone in my family ate it so that’s a pretty good sign.
Slightly modified Coronation Chicken Tea Party Sandwiches from Downton Abbey Cooks website:
- 2 - 2.5 cooked chicken breasts* finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt you can use mayonnaise if you like
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsps water
- Slices of white or wheat bread
- *I bought a package of pre-cooked chicken at Trader Joe's to save me some time
- Chop, grate, or shred chicken.
- In a large bowl mix the chicken with sour cream or yogurt until well incorporated and set aside. In a small bowl make a paste with curry and water. Gently stir the curry paste into the chicken and add mango chutney a few tablespoons at a time. I really like mango chutney so I put a lot but add to taste.
- Cut off the crusts and spread mixture between two slices of bread. Cut into squares, rectangles, or triangles.
Here’s a little fun fact mentioned on the Downton Abbey Cooks website: If you are serving the Queen, the protocol is to cut off the corners to form a rough hexagon as to do otherwise would leave a sandwich resembles a coffin, suggesting you meant ill will for the Queen.
These little sandwiches would be perfect for a baby shower, princess party, bridal shower, or whenever you want to feel a little fancy.