It’s finally Fall and that means so many good things to make! I love apples any time of the year but during Fall there are so many apple options. I really love McIntosh but I tried a new one last week (new to me at least) called a Pinata…I think it might be my new favorite! This week I’m celebrating apples so today I am bringing you a family favorite. My cousin, Heather, gave this recipe to me years ago and we just love it. It’s got all the right stuff for a Fall treat…apples, cinnamon, sugar, crescent rolls, and ooey gooey goodness. I think you’ll agree that these Gooey Cinnamon Apple Bundles are the Perfect Fall Treat.
The printable recipe is down below but I will walk you through the easy steps. Grab your ingredients: green apples, an orange, crescent rolls, sugar, and ground cinnamon. I love pumpkin pie spice which is why I used it in place of just cinnamon. *My cousin uses bread stick dough so if you can’t find the sheet, which is really hard to find, you can use Pillsbury bread sticks instead.
Roll out the dough sheet and cut into 24 strips.
After slicing your apples (using an apple slicer) mix up the sugars, orange zest, and cinnamon spices in a small bowl and set aside.
Wrap the dough around each apple wedge, brush with melted butter, and then sprinkle with sugar mixture.
Squeeze orange juice over bundles and down the sides so the wedges are sitting on a thin layer of juice. I sprinkled salt over the sugar before putting them in the oven because I really like to taste salt with something sweet.
Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes. I would actually suggest using a larger dish and not stacking them so close if possible but this is the biggest dish I have.
You can serve with powdered sugar sprinkled on top or with whipped cream which is how my cousin serves them.
Two of these bundles are 3 Weight Watchers Plus points.
- 3 green apples
- 1 package Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough Sheet
- 1 orange
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Zest of ½ the orange
- *salt to sprinkle over the top
- Preheat oven at 375
- Unroll the crescent roll sheet and cut into 24 strips.
- Cut apples with an apple slicer. If you don't have an apple slicer cut apple into 8 wedges.
- Wrap dough strip around apple wedge.
- Place apple wedges in a greased oven safe dish, side by side in neat rows.
- In a small bowl mix sugars, spice, and orange zest together.
- Melt butter then brush wedges with melted butter and sprinkle sugar mix on top of wrapped apple wedges.
- Squeeze juice from the orange into the dish so there is a thin layer of orange juice along the bottom. (I squeezed the orange right over the wedges and down the sides.)
- Right before placing in the oven I sprinkled a little bit of salt on the wedges because I like a little salty taste and it brings out all the flavors.
- Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream or powdered sugar and sprinkle a bit of the sugar mix. Serve warm or cold.