Here in California we can get strawberries pretty much year round but they are definitely best in the summer. We go through a lot of strawberries in this house. Uh-lot! One of our favorite summertime desserts growing up was dipping strawberries in a mix of sour cream and brown sugar. It’s actually really good. When Wayfair asked me to be a part of their Cake Off I knew that I would have to combine two things my kids love…strawberries and lemon. Also, since May is National Strawberry Month it just seemed like the perfect time to make my Strawberry Lemonade Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Enjoy!
I have to tell you right up front here…I’m gonna need some help after you’ve read my recipe. I’m going to need you to pin, comment, share, and like the heck out of this post cuz I want my friends at Wayfair to know you really really like my stuff (or are at least willing to help a girl out here!). This cake is really yummy and if you’ve tried my recipes before you know I’ve never steered you wrong. Somehow I ended up with (4) 6″ round cake pans which I found at the very back of one of my cabinets so I thought what the heck, lets just go with a three tiered 6″ cake today! I know a certain little preschooler who is going to think this was made just for her 🙂
- 1 box of lemon cake mix
- 1 small box instant lemon pudding mix 3.4 oz
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 5 tbsp sour cream
- zest from 2 lemons
- juice from 2 lemons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease (3) 6" round cake pans and set aside.
In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix on medium until well incorporated.
Pour into greased cake pans and bake for 35 minutes.
After 35 minutes check to make sure the cakes are done as every oven is different.
Stick a toothpick in the middle of one of the cakes; if it comes clean it is ready.
Let cakes cool in the pans for a few minutes and then carefully remove (by tapping the bottom of the pan) the cakes to cool on a rack.
Once the cakes have completely cooled they are ready to frost!
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 1 block cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp fresh strawberry puree
- 2-3 strawberries to add to frosting
- ½ tsp salt
- *optional* ½ tsp meringue powder
- In a large bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until soft and well blended.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and strawberry puree.
- If you have meringue powder you can add it.
- Finely chop 2-3 strawberries and fold into frosting.
- If frosting seems a little too soft place into refrigerator for about 20 minutes. If it still seems too soft slowly add more powdered sugar until the right consistency is achieved.
- To make strawberry puree: place about ½ cup fresh strawberries in a blender or food processor and blend until strawberries have reduced to almost a liquid.
In addition to all things pink I have a thing for cake stands and have my eye on several new ones on the Wayfair website…can you guess which ones? Help me decide!
So what do you think? Now that I’ve teased you with this sweet summer treat you’re going to have to try it out right? Right now as we speak my hubby has chicken on the grill, a full glass of champagne waiting for me, my daughter is practicing her Memorial Day performance, and my son is studying for his finals but everyone is telling me to hurry up and write this post so they can have a bite of this cake! I hope you enjoy this Strawberry Lemonade Cake Cream Cheese Frosting as much as we do! Happy Summer! Please oh pretty please comment, pin, like, & share…help me win 🙂