This post sponsored by Bonne Maman. All opinions and ideas are my own.
When you think of a blintz you probably don’t imagine it filled with chicken and topped with strawberry preserves. I understand. I didn’t either until I made one and now I find myself craving them for breakfast. I am sharing my Savory Strawberry Preserves Toasted Coconut Almond Chicken Blintz Recipe with you just in time for Mother’s Day. I’m going to leave a copy of this recipe out for my family on Saturday so they know just what to make for me.
Are you a little skeptical about this recipe? I totally get it. Blintzes are supposed to be cheesy, creamy, and sweet right? I thought so too until the folks at Bonne Maman challenged me to create a savory breakfast using their Strawberry Preserves. I thought long and hard about this one and after seeing the package of traditional blintzes at the grocery store I decided what I was going to create: a savory chicken blintz made with toasted coconut, toasted almonds, and lemon zest. If I’m being completely honest I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out. I did have a back up plan but after taking a bite of the filling I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to have to use it. I was pretty proud of myself actually. The addition of Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves really makes this recipe stand out and gives it a little extra sweet kick.
You probably recognize the traditional red gingham label but have you ever tried Bonne Maman preserves? Did you know Bonne Maman means “Grandmother”? Bonne Maman uses simple, wholesome ingredients…just like your grandma would use. They are produced in France (oui oui!), are non-GMO project verified, have no high fructose cor syrup, no artificial coloring and no preservatives added. I especially love the big chunks of strawberries in their strawberry preserve. If you want to learn more about their process and why Bonne Maman does not make jam you can read their FAQs. The jars are really nice too so if you do your own canning or like to bake in jars or give gifts in jars these are perfect.
I warmed the preserves in a saucepan before plating so the whole dish would be nice and warm. If you prefer to have your preserves right in your blintz you can add some before folding your crepe.
Doesn’t this look like something Mom would enjoy on Mother’s Day? You can serve this to her on a tray for breakfast in bed or take it outside and eat in the garden. It was such a lovely day that I opted for eating my breakfast in the backyard. Serve with a side of fresh strawberries and orange juice (or a mimosa).
I love fresh lemon zest and tend to use it in a number of recipes. If you really like lemon you could add some to the top of the preserves. Would make a pretty presentation too.
See that toasted coconut right there? So good!
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely chopped
- ¾ cup Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- ¼ cup toasted coconut
- Package of store bought crepes
- 5 tbsps Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves
- Toast coconut and almonds in a pan over low-medium heat until coconut is slightly golden brown. Move the coconut flakes and almonds around the pan constantly until done. Do not over toast or burn.
- Combine ricotta, cream cheese, egg, lemon zest and juice, and salt in a medium bowl and cream using a hand mixer until well blended.
- Fold warm chicken, toasted almonds, and toasted coconut into mixture.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of filling down the center of a crepe. Fold both sides towards the center then fold the top and bottom to make a neat little package.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a saucepan and place the blintzes, seam side down, in the pan. Cook about 4-5 minutes until golden.
- Carefully flip over and cook until golden on the other side.
- Heat the strawberry preserves in a small saucepan until warm.
- Remove from heat and pour over crepes.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and orange juice.
Don’t forget to enter the 12 Piece Le Creuset Cookware Set Sweepstakes from Bonne Maman! There are lots of other prizes too. 500 people will win a 5-Pack Mini Jar set with Bonne Maman Spoon.