Are you ready to make some magic? Well, you can with Harry Potter Interactive Wands! With a flick of your wrist and stating the spell loud and clear, you can make a spoon stir, a chocolate frog appear, and a monster come alive.
No visit to Wizarding World is complete without having fun with Harry Potter Interactive Wands. Cast a spell and make magic happen all over the park! Wands out, “Wingardium Leviosa”!
List of Harry Potter Interactive Wand Locations Universal Studios Hollywood
First let me say that if you’re not into spoilers and want to figure all of this out on your own…don’t keep reading. Seriously. I am going to tell you all of the locations and what you can expect at each one. The Ravenclaw in me does not like surprises. I want to know exactly what to expect, particularly when I go somewhere new, so if you’re like me you’ll appreciate this list of Harry Potter Interactive Wand Locations.
This is your last chance to turn back and find something else to read. Maybe my Universal Studios Hollywood Tips? How about Wizarding World of Harry Potter Tips? Want to know what’s on the menu at Three Broomsticks? Don’t say I didn’t warn you… Ok, here goes…list of Harry Potter Interactive Wand Locations coming up.
Ollivanders Wand Shop
It all starts at Ollivanders. You know the story right? All first year Hogwarts students purchase their wands from Ollivanders on Diagon Alley. Mr. Ollivander is the best wandmaker in the world and is definitely the most knowledgeable. We are lucky enough to have a wand shop right here in Wizarding World Hollywood where wizards and muggles alike can choose from replica character wands or one of thirteen unique wands not related to any particular character in the stories.
One of the most talked about experiences in “Harry Potter Land” is the wand show at Ollivanders. About 20 people can enter the shop at one time and only one wizard per group is chosen. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to being chosen. Not one thing is going to guarantee you will be picked. I understand, however, that being “in costume” or dressing in house colors can help your chances.
If chosen, the wandkeeper offers several wands for the new wizard to try. The wandkeeper hands the wand to the one chosen along with a spell to perform. When the wand and wizard finally find one another, magic happens! I’m not going to spoil the rest for you…there have to be some surprises!
Let the Wand Choose You…or Not, and Choose the Wand Yourself
If you were fortunate enough to have a wand choose you at the wand pairing show hopefully you like it! It is an unspoken rule that if a wand chooses you, you should plan on it going home with you too. If you really don’t like the wand you can choose another one from the shop. There are a number of replica wands for sale in the shop. Below is a list of interactive character wands but there are a several other fan favorites you can purchase that are not “magical” like Newt Scamander and Queenie. Take your pick from the following characters:
Harry Potter Interactive Wands, Replicas
- Hermione Granger
- Harry Potter
- Ron Weasley
- Ginny Weasley
- Draco Malfoy
- Luna Lovegood
- Neville Longbottom
- Cho Chang
- Nymphadora Tonks
- Sirius Black
- Mad Eye Moody
- Lord Voldemort
- Bellatrix Lestrange
- Narcissa Malfoy
- Death Eater Snake
- Death Eater Swirl
Harry Potter Interactive Wand, Unclaimed
Unclaimed wands are ones that are not associated with any character. Each of these wands was created based on the Celtic tree calendar. People typically tend to choose a wand based on their birthdate or a date that has some significance to them.
Here is a list of unclaimed wands and the dates associated with them.
- Birch, December 24 – January 20
- Rowan, January 21 – February 17
- Ash, February 18 – March 17
- Alder, March 18 – April 14
- Willow, April 15 – May 12
- Hawthorn, May 13 – June 9
- Oak, June 10 – July 7
- Holly, July 8 – August 4
- Hazel, August 5 – September 1
- Vine, September 2 – September 29
- Ivy, September 30 – October 27
- Reed, October 28 – November 24
- Elder, November 25 – December 23
My daughter, based on her birthdate, initially chose the Willow wand but after holding it in her hand she just didn’t feel it was the right one. Once she put Willow away she felt drawn to Holly. Coincidentally, Holly is the one I thought best suited her. Mommy knows best.
- This vigorous wood is associated with stored energy and renewal. Birch people are full of life, with seemingly endless reserves of energy to bestow on those around them. They should always trust their ability to see straight through to the heart of any matter.
- Birch wands are associated with driving out evil spirits and with healing magic and will produce a strong Patronus.
- Dolores Umbridge has a wand made with birch.
- Revered for its powers of protection. Rowan people are full of healing energy and they delight in helping others. They should use their powerful imagination and resourceful nature to make their dreams come true.
- Rowan wands are associated with pure-hearted wizards and are very powerful.
- Wizards chosen by rowan wands are compatible with those chosen by elder wands.
- European folklore states rowan wood is quite powerful in warding off evil and it gives protection against malevolent beings.
- Tools, magical and ordinary, that made from Ash are especially productive as Ash trees are known to attract energy. Ash people are kind and generous with a gift for seeing what is beautiful in the world and in others. They should be careful that their romantic hearts do not lead them into danger.
- Ash wands are true to one master and should not be passed on or given away as it will lose power and skill.
- Those who possess an ash wand are stubborn, courageous, not crass or arrogant, and are not easily swayed from their beliefs or purposes.
- Charlie Weasley, Ron Weasley, and Cedric Diggory owned wands made with ash.
- Suited for making flutes and pipes, and for building bridges. They are adventurous travelers and confident decision makers who trust their inner voices. They should work hard to maintain a balance between work and play.
- Alder wand owners are not known to be stubborn or obstinate and they are kind, considerate, likeable, and helpful.
- These who are chosen by alder wands will find their wands are wonderful and loyal helpmates. Alder wands are also best suited for those who wish to excel in non-verbal spell work and are known for protection against outside forces.
- Quirinus Quirrell possesses a wand made with alder.
- Protection, especially against natural disasters. Willow people are strong and flexible; they recover quickly from the unexpected. They should face new challenges confident that each encounter only makes them stronger.
- This is an uncommon wood with healing power.
- The ideal owner for a willow wand has some insecurities they are trying to hide.
- Willow wands select those with the greatest potential, “He who has the furthest to travel will go fastest with willow.”
- Lily Evans and Ron Weasley both had wands made with willow.
- Makes excellent barriers with its beautiful flowers and big thorns. This wood is strong, yet flexible. Hawthorn people have intense family ties and are highly protective of those for whom they care. They should remember that it is relationships that connect us to the future and the past.
- Gregorovitch said, “Hawthorn makes a strange, contradictory wand, as full of paradoxes as the tree that gave it birth, whose leaves and blossoms heal, and yet whose cut branches smell of death.” Hawthorn wands are complex and intriguing just like their owners.
- These wands are suited to healing magic but also adept at curses. If you are a witch or wizard going through some turmoil this could be a good wand for you.
- In addition, Hawthorn wands are not easy to master. Only wizards or witches with great talent should possess a wand with this type of wood or the consequences could prove dangerous or deadly.
- In fact, if used improperly, spells can backfire.
- Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter both have hawthorn in their wands.
- Truth and wisdom. Oak people are confident and optimistic, with great inner strength and a deep well of knowledge. They should trust in their natural intuition and understanding, using it for the benefit of all.
- Oak wands have powerful intuition and are drawn to creates and plants that are necessary to wizards for magic and pleasure.
- Those who have wands made with oak are true and loyal friends, through good and bad. They demand owners who demonstrate strength, courage, and loyalty.
- Rubeus Hagrid has a wand made with oak.
- Magical healing properties and is thought to repel evil. Holly people make good leaders and thoughtful, loving and effective counselors. They should use their understanding of the dark, hidden side of humanity to guide others in their time of need.
- Holly is one of the rarer wands and is considered protective. It works well for those who may need help overcoming tendencies towards anger or impetuosity. These wands often choose owners on a spiritual or dangerous quest. (When my daughter chose the Holly wand she was getting ready to make her First Communion.)
- Also, Holly is a traditional symbol of luck, prosperity and protection from evil. According to European tradition, holly trees repel evil.
- If wizarding superstition is correct, holly wands are incompatible with oak wands so those possessing these types of wands should not marry.
- Harry Potter has a wand made with holly.
- Wisdom, protection and magical skills. Hazel people are often wise beyond their years. They make inspiring teachers, combining creative talent and practical knowledge. Hazel people should be sure they take the time to share their gifts with others.
- Hazel wands are sensitive and reflect their owner’s emotional state.
- Additionally, it is capable of superior magic in the right hands. It is extremely devoted to its owner. As a result of this loyalty, hazel wands frequently “die” when their master dies.
- Hazel wands can detect water underground and will emit tear shaped puffs of smoke when passing hidden springs and wells.
- Sybill Trelawney possesses a wand with hazel.
- Persistence and renewal. Vine people have restless spirits and seemingly limitless energy and are prone to burn the candle at both ends. They should learn to pace themselves and their achievements will know no bounds
- Vine wands are not common and their owners are almost always wizards and witches who seek greater purpose, who surprise and astound those around them, and who have a vision most don’t understand.
- These wands have been known to emit magic once a suitable owner walks into the room.
- Hermione Granger’s wand is made with vine.
- Tenacity, stamina and endless patience. Ivy people are strong and determined; they set goals and achieve them. They should take care that their ability to easily overcome obstacles does not lead them unwittingly into ever more challenging situations.
- Scholarship and knowledge. Reed people are good with words, and steadfast in their beliefs. They are deeply rooted and extremely flexible. They should trust in their ability to adapt to new situations without ever losing sense of who they are.
- Reed wands are best suited to bold and eloquent speakers and protective friends.
- Reeds grow in small bodies of water in the Forbidden Forest.
- Death and renewal and protection from negative influence. Elder people are extremely perceptive and very sensitive; they are easily wounded, but quick to recover. They should trust in their natural persistence and they will succeed where many others would give up.
- Elder wands are rare, unlucky, and very tricky to master.
- These wands are suited for only highly unusual wizards and witches and those marked out for a special purpose and destiny.
- Those who possess a wand made with elder and particularly attracted to those who possess a wand made with rowan.
- Antioch Peverell, Albus Dumbledore, and Harry Potter all had wands made with elder.
How to Use Interactive Wands
Wands work using sensors and they are pretty sensitive. If you flick your wrist too much it won’t work. You want to keep your movements small and tight. Don’t worry if you have trouble, there are team members everywhere to help you.
Harry Potter Interactive Wand Locations and Spells
Let’s talk locations. With your wand purchase also comes a map. You will use this map to locate the wand locations all over the theme park.
1. Honeydukes: “Revelio” spell opens the Chocolate Frog box in the window
2. Three Broomsticks: “Incendio” spell turns the lights on in the window
3. Dogwood and Deathcap: “Herbivicus” spell makes some flowers bloom and the Mimbulus Mimbletonia move
4. Madam Puddifoot’s Tea & Cakes: “Locomotor Plates” spell makes the treats spin and “Arresto Momentum” makes it stop
5. Scrivenshaft’s Quill Shop: “Finite Incantatem” spell makes the quill starting writing
6. Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment: “Alohomora”spells opens the chest
7. Gladrags Wizardwear: “Descendo” spell makes the tape measure go down and “Ascendio” makes the tape measure go back up (this one was hard!)
8. Dervish and Banges: “Locomotor Music Box” spell turns the music box on
9. Spintwitches: “Wingardium Leviosa” spell makes the Quidditch balls rattle in the box
10. Ceridwen’s Cauldrons: “Silencio” spell makes the spoon stop stirring in the pot
11. Dominic Maestro’s: “Ventus” spell causes the music sheets to fly around
Ok, so here’s the deal. There are two secret, off the map, interactive wand locations. I will help you find ONE secret location but the other you’ll just have to find the other on your own. Watch this video to find your clue!
I have had so much fun sharing all of my Universal Studios Hollywood tips and these Harry Potter Interactive Wand locations with you! I’ve got another one in my series coming up…and it’s all about super hidden secrets some Hogwarts students might not even know!
Don’t forget to check out my other posts about Universal Studios in Hollywood: